Friday, December 10, 2010

My Grandmother was a Genius

My Grandmother Laura Rothacker passed when I was 4 years, old back in 1962.  


She lives ON.   She was a genius in that she dated and added her name to EVERYTHING !!!


These were the days before Sharpies, so Grandma wrote on items with a pencil and covered it with clear nail polish to preserve the name and date.


I have carried on that tradition.  

Below is a photo of a
Christmas ornament that my Dad gave to Vinny in 1987.
Vin would
have been 3 that Christmas.    I took a small piece of paper,
wrote
out the tag, and covered it with Scotch tape.  :)    23 years ago !!!


Once the ornament is on the tree, you don't see that little tag.


I've tried to do this with all ornaments that were given to my kids, and I've
tried to do this with all ornaments I've given to others.


At the end of this Christmas season when I take down our tree,
it's past
time to put the kids ornaments aside for each of them.  


Please consider doing this, and you can be assured to send a bit of yourself
into the future. 
I know I have spoken of this before, but it's such a treasure to know the dates
of items and who they belonged to or who the gifts came from.   :)


   Img_7387


 



1 comment:

Debbie said...

Deb, this is a wonderful idea. I wish I'd known about 25 years ago. I can't remember some things and this would definitely help. Love you!