Saturday, October 10, 2020

Daymaker - David Wagner

It only takes a moment
to make someone's day — to become a Daymaker.

Sometimes those moments even change lives as I discovered a number of years ago. I was working in my salon one day when a client came in to have her hair styled. I was surprised to see her since it was right in the middle of her five-week period between haircuts. I figured that she must have an important social engagement, so I asked her about her evening plans.

“I don’t have anything special going on,” she told me. “I just want to look and feel good tonight.”

I gave her a great scalp massage, then shampooed and styled her hair. During our 30 minutes together, we joked and laughed. At the end, she smiled radiantly, hugging me goodbye.

A few days later I received a letter from this client and began to realize the enormous potential of Daymaking. My client admitted that she had wanted her hair styled so it would look good for her own funeral. She had planned to commit suicide that evening. But the wonderful time she had during our appointment had given her hope that things could get better. She decided to check herself into the hospital and get professional help. She thanked me for caring, even though I hadn’t known what she was going through.

She wrote, “Thank you for being there without knowing that you were.”

I was stunned. I had spent time with this woman about once a month for three years, yet that day I had no inkling she was so distressed. I was glad to have made such a difference, yet the experience left me with an enormous sense of responsibility. What if I had been upset, distracted, or hurried when she came to see me? That experience made me take stock of myself as a stylist and as a person. How many of the ten clients I saw each day might be in personal crisis? Even if it were only one person a day, I might have no way of knowing who needed some extra attention. I resolved to treat every person I met like I had treated that woman. It might sound like a lot of work, but it wasn’t hard to have fun with my client that day. It was natural and made my day brighter, too.

After that experience, I vowed to give care and attention to everyone I saw. I figured it would make their day a little better, and who knows, it might save a life. I still thank my client for the gift of that letter because it changed my life as much as my kindness changed hers. When you realize the difference you can make for others, whether by spending a light-hearted half-hour together, giving them a smile, or simply holding the door open for them, your whole approach to life shifts. Why have random acts of kindness when we can have intentional acts of good will?

David Wagner
https://daymakermovement.com/about/our-story

 


Daymaker - David Wagner

(I posted this as a Facebook note back in 2011)
Sharing these words from David's site...........

Hello. Let me introduce myself. My name is David Wagner and I am a Daymaker. It is what I am, what I do, and it has been a blessing for the nearly 20 years that I have adopted this mindset and way of being. It has allowed me much success in my life. Ah' what is success?

I started being a Daymaker hairstylist and as a result was able to change my clients' lives so much that it gave me confidence in choosing to be a Daymaker in the other roles I play.

I became a Daymaker boss and my business flourished.

I got married and became a Daymaker husband.

I had two daughters and became a Daymaker dad. Every facet of my life has benefited by my choosing to be a Daymaker.

As a Daymaker, all of a sudden everything you do, whether it's letting someone merge into traffic or simply offering the waitress a friendly smile of appreciation for serving you, creates what I call "perfect moments." After all, days are made of moments and it's how we choose to be in those moments that shape our day and, in fact, our lives. I often say that I used to have two theories on raising children. Now I have two children and I don't have theories anymore. What you won't find in my book are theories on how to change your life or how you can impact the world around you. What you will find are stories from my life and my experiences that have shaped mine and helped me to see and realize that yes, as one person I can change the world. I've changed mine and it's beautiful. Please join me in changing the world in a beautiful way. When my world meets your world we have created a ripple of hope, love, and abundance of life together.
Love, David Wagner
Author of "Life as a Daymaker":

How to change the world by making someone's day.

TOP 50 WAYS TO BE A DAYMAKER

How to make your mate's day
  1. Write a love letter and send it in the mail. For a twist give it to someone traveling and have them send it from out of town.
  2. Send their parents flowers on your mate's birthday
  3. Rent a bicycle built for two for the weekend
  4. Offer to take over something they usually do (like cook dinner) when you know they are just too tired
  5. Break out the best china this week, especially with kids. It will create a special night for everyone
  6. Ladies- send him flowers at work today. How rare is it for a guy to get flowers? Very rare! They love it!
How to make your child's day
  1. Turn off your cell phone when you get home
  2. Have flowers delivered on their birthday
  3. Create an herb garden together
  4. Frame their artwork and hang it in your home and office
  5. Write them a letter on their birthday. Put it in a safe place and give to them when they turn eighteen
  6. Create a ritual of watching sunsets with your child
  7. Don't bring worries home from the office. Create a worry hook outside your door to hang them at night
  8. Take your daughter for her first make-up lesson
How to make your grandchild's day
  1. Send your grandchild a letter in the mail even if you live nearby.
  2. Telephone your grandchild regularly, and let them know you are calling especially to talk to them.
  3. If you live far away videotape yourself reading them a bedtime story.
  4. Keep a wall chart at your house to document how much they've grown.
  5. Make them a scrapbook of their parent's childhood. It will be a keepsake for them and their parents.
How to make a stranger's day
  1. Put a quarter in a gumball machine and walk away.
  2. Let people merge in traffic today.
  3. Carry thank you notes with you. Write them out to waiters and waitresses. It will surprise them more than a big tip.
  4. Buy a roll of tickets at an amusement park and give them to seniors.
  5. Plug a parking meter that's expired.
  6. Help a stranger take their luggage off the carousel at the airport.
  7. Buy a bike for your local children's shelter.
  8. Send flowers to the senior's home.
  9. Buy gift certificates to a car wash and leave them on the windshield of needy cars.
  10. Leave a flower at a bus stop.
  11. Buy gift certificates to an ice cream shop and give them out on a hot day.
How to be a Daymaker at work
  1. Offer to pick up lunch for someone you know is swamped.
  2. If you have an SUV offer to pick up others on a snowy day
  3. Pass the bouquet. Give someone special a bouquet and have them pass it on to someone else the following day. It's a week of Daymaking with one bouquet.
  4. Create a Daymaker of the year award at work.
  5. Have everyone bring in their high school graduation picture to post on the bulletin board.
  6. Write a thank you note to the boss. It's lonely at the top. Everyone needs to know they're appreciated for their work.
  7. Acknowledge promotions; send a card to the employee's home.
  8. Offer to drive someone home you know could use a ride.
  9. Pool your money together and buy someone a spa day as a thank you.
  10. Bring in a massage therapist to do chair massages. This is especially great for accounting firms in April.
  11. Post an employee's baby picture and let everyone guess who it is.
  12. At a monthly meeting have everyone in the room say something nice about whoever has a birthday that month.
Make your own day first
  1. Tonight make your home a spa. It's a great way to melt stress. You will need your favorite soothing music, scented candles, bath salts/oils, calming tea, and your favorite robe. Unplug the phone, put the kids to sleep and enjoy two hours of bliss.
  2. Buy live flowers on your way home tonight.
  3. Take a nap this Sunday.
  4. Call someone JUST to say, "I love you and I'm glad you are in my life."
  5. Watch the sunset tonight.
  6. Turn off the ringer on your phone during dinner.
  7. Be an optimist today. Look on the bright side of everything that comes your way today. Repeat it tomorrow.
  8. Get a wonderful scalp massage and a new haircut. It's a great sense of renewal.

No comments: