Thursday, November 15, 2018

A Gold Star Mom's Words on His Angel date




November 15, 2018
My Dearest Son, Lance,

You would think that after 14 years this yearly letter would be easier to write. It does NOT. I have spent the last hour and 30 minutes doing everything but put my thoughts down in a letter to you. I miss you deeply each and every day. I think I get better at handling and controlling the pain of not hearing your deep voice say, Hello Mother and seeing that little twinkle of orneriness come to your blue eyes. It will never be easy and the pain of your being taken will never leave my heart. I do pray that I will always show the honor and respect.

However, there are many gifts that I look for each day. One of those gifts came with a reunion of your 2/5 Communications Unit this year. I am so thankful that the Semper Fi Fund sponsored this awesome event this past October. So many of your Marine brothers where able to attend and I am thankful and grateful they wanted to include your family. Words will never convey how special these men are in the way they honor and remember their fallen brothers. They shared so many loving and funny memories.

Lance, your family, friends, and Marine brothers will always have a Lance-shaped hole in their heart but that hole is filled with many loving and happy memories of you, and the life you lived, and the honor and respect you showed to all those around you. I pray that we will always honor you, those who fought and carry on, and the many fallen heroes that have given all to ensure we have the Freedoms we enjoy daily.

Today it has been 14 years since the Marines came to my door and one of my Blue Stars turned Gold. My deepest prayer is that EVERYONE stands to honor and respect those who fight and those who protect our country both at home, in the streets, and in faraway lands. I pray that EVERYONE takes a knee for those we have lost not only in wars but here at home protecting us each day. You all deserve no less.

Semper Fi and always Gung Ho

Mom
Melanie Thompson Smith, Carmel, IN 
 
 

No comments: