Wednesday, April 6, 2005

~* IF *~

                      


                        If




A few years ago I was working doing electronic assembly. There were
5 other women and myself who did the assembly. Many times I would
find myself talking privately with one person and I would say something
negative about another co-worker.
When I walked away, I would say to myself,
'WHY did you open your mouth and say that?'

My Mother's words echoed in my head...........
"IF you don't have something nice to say about someone,
don't say anything at all."

I made myself the IF sign as a reminder for myself. I taped IF to
my workbench so I could view it constantly. It really helped me.


Co-workers walked by my bench and inquired about the IF sign.
I explained it, along with Mom's words, that it was a reminder for myself.


A quite unexpected thing happened, I noticed my co-workers stopped
talking to me about other co-workers. Well, maybe that's not just the
right way to put it..... Co-workers stopped saying negative things
about other folks to me.

I left that job about 4 years ago, but on my last afternoon there
I was the last assembly person in the shop that Friday afternoon.
I made each person their own "IF" sign along with a personal goodbye
message. I heard only positive thoughts about my parting message
from all the gals I worked with.

Still......... that one little word keeps me and my thoughts about others
on track. !!!














1 comment:

Phil Gerbyshak said...

What a fantastic reminder of how to behave Deb. Love the sign too! It's a quick way to keep your head in check.