Thursday, April 28, 2005

To Vinny - Call Me Sometime....

When I say call me sometime, it’s because I miss you.   
I don’t need to know what’s going on
in your life moment by moment, but I do need
to hear from you every so often.


Right now you have no idea what it’s like to be
totally responsible for your child and then one
day they are gone and off on their own.


As a parent all you can do is trust that the lessons of
childhood become the auto pilot of your adult child.


Where did the years go ? 


Wasn’t it just about yesterday you were bringing me
dandelion flowers and gifts of white lucky stones ?


Wasn’t it just about yesterday you would learning to read
and I sat patiently waiting for you to sound out each word
on your own. ?


Wasn’t it just about yesterday I could kiss away a
painful scraped knee ?


Wasn’t it just about yesterday you were fixing
your uniform for your first little league game?
(You might not remember this, but I had to wake you
up from a nap the afternoon of that game.)


Wasn’t it just about yesterday that we were at Tinker’s Creek
and you had filled up your pail of special rocks to bring home?


Well, I guess it wasn’t yesterday, but maybe yesteryear.


I miss Vinny the boy, but I am so very proud of Vinny the man.


Call me sometime….


Love Mama


3 comments:

Patti Roehrle said...

This page brought tears to my eyes. My Father's name was Peter, so it was extra special. I named my son Anthony Peter Marino after him.
My thoughts and Prayers go out to each and every one of those helping to fight for our country.
Vinny, I'm so proud of you!!!

Patti Roehrle said...

Vinny,
I forgot to tell you that I'm now a Military Friend. It's so special because it's for you. Don't forget to stay safe by putting yourself withing the White Circle Of God.
I love you,
Patti from PA
affpatti

patti roehrle said...

Vinny,
Don't forget about you Finger Cross. Always carry it with you. Stay safe... remember I love and care about you, also... put yourself in *The White Circle OF God.
Pardon me for the typo *withing, should have said within*... sorry.