Tuesday, April 5, 2005

~Always * Half Full~

It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness.


I came across this Chinese proverb many years ago.
It was the 'motto' on a piece of literature that  I picked up in
a hospital waiting room.  The literature was just a single piece of
paper, with an inspirational message printed on both sides.
There was an address where you could send to and they would
send you these 'News Notes'.  Of course I wrote to them and
received the News Notes for many years.

From the Christopher's web site, I found the following description
of this group.


The Christophers, a non-profit organization founded in 1945 by Fr. James Keller, uses print and electronic media to spread a message of hope and understanding to people of all faiths and of no particular faith. Our aim is to encourage all individuals to recognize their abilities and use them to raise the standards in all phases of human endeavor.



Over the years of my life that motto has been quite significant for me.
Those very few words totally describe my 'glass half full' life approach.



This link will take you to the Christopher's Web site.


http://www.christophers.org/homepage.html


Link to order Christophers News Notes.
They come out 10 times a year, and they are FREE. !!!



http://www.christophers.org/cnnlink.html
Another favorite and quite significant quote for me is this......



"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Gandhi



Why live one's life based on a one line quote you might be thinking.
It's simple, my mind races around to a zillion different thoughts in a
days time.   But if I hold a quote or affirmation close to the surface
of my brain, then that thought or idea becomes my auto pilot
or cruise control. 

I'll give you a real life example of how I've used a quote.
More times than I care to recall, I've been the next customer in line
at the grocery store.   The customer in front of me, for whatever reason,
is giving the clerk a hard time.   You can just SEE the energy draining
from the young clerk.    When this happened to me just a few weeks ago,
the clerk called over the front end manager.   The manager appeared to be
well over 20 years older than the young clerk.   She keyed something
into the register and solved the problem.   With the nasty customer
still standing in front of her, the young clerk turned sideways and
hugged and thanked the gal for her help.    She tried to be as pleasant
as she could in handing the customer her change, but I could see her just
about biting off her bottom lip.   The customer walked off and then it was
my turn in line.
The young woman was obviously totally shook up, and also a bit angry.
I said to her, "wow, you handled that very well, and seeing you hug
your manager was really a very nice moment."



She said to me, "there is not one time that woman comes through my line
without there being SOMETHING wrong."

I went on to explain to that cashier that my daughter had been a cashier
at a CVS drug store.   How many times my 16 year old would come home
reduced to tears and upset because of some rude customers.
I then pointed to the exit door and I said to the young cashier.
"The minute a nasty customer walks out the door, you just let it go. 
Let it roll right off of you. !!!
I said to her,"If you don't let it roll off, it's like they are riding right in the front seat beside you on the way home, they continue to walk in the front door
of your house with you, and the entire rest of your evening is wrecked,
all because you took in their anger."

A very very huge smile came to this young woman's face.

And I became the change I wanted to see in the world. ! 






No comments: