Friday, April 15, 2005

Pay It Forward

I was at a dollar store the other day, my favorite place to shop for
weird and strange items.   :)



With all my great buys in hand I went to check out.   The cashier was
a pretty young woman with blond hair.   She had on a beautiful salmon
colored sweater.    I commented on what a lovely color that was for her.
She went on to tell me that she had found the sweater for $2 on
a season clearance rack.    She then said, it's so hard to keep my
clothes nice with a 2 year old.
As we chatted some more, she told me her daughter's name is Natalie.
I then felt very compelled to ask her when Natalie's birthday was....
She reponded it was February 21. 
February 21 was my best friend Cindy's birthday.    Cindy passed away
in 2001 after a long battle with leukemia, she was 42.



My eyes just filled with tears and I explained to the cashier that Feb 21 had
been my friend's birthday.    I told her of Cindy's 3 children and how we were
childhood friends.    This young woman stepped from behind the counter
and gave me a HUG.   As I was walking away, I said, 'I won't forget your Natalie
as she has a very special birthday.'
I certainly won't forget that special young woman, this act of  kindness on her part will stay with me for a very long time.



The best we can do when we are shown a kindness and it really can't be
repaid to the person who did something for us, is to 'Pay it Forward'.



Has some act of kindness been showen to you ???


http://www.payitforwardfoundation.org/




3 comments:

Patti said...

WOW! What a great coincidence this had to be for you. Pay It Forward is one of my favorite movies, and also, the Dollar Store is one of my favorite places to shop.
That hug must have meant a million dollars to you.
Memories of Cindy, too.

Charles Hamel said...

Wow, I envy women sometimes. Could you imagine two men, strangers hugging in a store. I have never seen this in all of my life, but think of the enriching experience that both of you got from this.
I think this is what they are talking about when referring to balancing the male and female aspects of ourselves. Too bad that in our society from programming that actions like this from a man are not socially acceptable.
Hugs can heal.. Check out Youtube Free Hugs and you will see an amazing story.

Deb Estep said...

Hi Again Charles,
I did a Youtube search on Free Hugs and
over 3900 hits came back. :)))
That's a GOOD thing.
I did then find this...
Juan Mann won an award from Youtube for the
Most inspirational video....
It has been viewed over 23 million times,
so maybe this is the ONE. wink
It was pretty awesome !!!
Most Inspirational - Free Hugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
A simple concept - giving passersby a hug - hits a deep chord and becomes even more unstoppable when the police try to end the campaign. Australian Juan Mann set out to brighten strangers' lives in Sydney by offering "free hugs." He's embraced with a mixture of warmth, humor and distrust, but his mission is none other than a random act of kindness. Fellow Aussies Sick Puppies offer the emotive soundtrack. Thanks to the video spreading like wildfire on YouTube and beyond, the "free hugs" concept has taken on a life of its own. In fact, the creators have inspired thousands of fans from around the world who want to start "free hugs" campaigns of their own.