Sunday, August 20, 2006

Death Changes Us

That Tuesday morning of September 11, 2001
here in Twinsburg Ohio was a beautiful early fall day.    
The sky was solid blue and totally uninterrupted with clouds.


Officially 2973 are listed as being killed that day.
I was talking to my youngest son 10 year old Kevin
the other day.    I initiated the conversation with him.

The topic was death.

I started out by saying, ‘Kevin there are something’s
in life that are facts.    Like 2x2 equals 4.   That is a
fact and it’s not going to change.

Another fact is that we all die.    

He blurted in,
‘but you and Daddy are going to die before me’.

I half way laughed out loud and said….
‘yes, it’s most likely we will, but sometimes
children do die first’.

He responded……’hmmmmmmm’

As parents often times we try to protect our
children from pain or hurts.    We do our children
a huge disservice when we attempt to protect them
from death. 

Of course it’s a fine line from having them neurotic
or informing them that death is a natural part of life.

As a child I was not protected in anyway from death.
If there was a funeral or a wake, we attended right along
with our parents. 

I witnessed the emotions of my family as they said their
goodbyes to a loved one.   

I am not saying that I was desensitized to death, but
it was not some deep dark thing that was hidden either.
It was natural.
When those 2973 awoke on that September morning
they had no clue their lives were about to end.

The sheer numbers alone is enough to make us stop
in our tracks and think. 
As the 5 year anniversary of 9-11 comes around,
I would like to ask you to do something in memory
of those people who died that day.
Would you make absolutely certain the people in
your life who you love and care about –
KNOW just how much you do love and care
about them.

If you do this and consciously connect your
actions of love back to September 11, 2001
it will give important meaning to the otherwise
tragic loss of life.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I would like to dedicate this post to anyone who
is healing from the loss of a loved one.

There are 3 very special ladies in my life who
I embrace with this dedication.....

Marine Mom Melanie - her son
Lance Corporal Lance Thompson KIA Iraq 11-15-2004

Air Force Mom Sandy – her husband
Don Trotter 9-9-2005

Marine Mom Carey – her son
Lance Corporal Daniel McVicker KIA Iraq 10-6-2005




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1 comment:

Deb said...

It is with great sadness I add
another dear friend.
Gabrielle's 23 year old son Jeremy
passed away on Aug 18.
Please know there are many prayers going
out for you and your family.
Love ~
Deb