Friday, November 16, 2007

"My Dear Son" - A Mother Speaks Her Heart









The following is a Gold Star Mother's message to her Marine son
Cpl Lance M. Thompson, taken from his Legacy memorial site.
You will see Lance pictured in a Veteran's post just a few down from this one.



November 15, 2007    -    KIA Iraq November 15, 2004



My dear son,
I will start this as I started each letter I wrote to you in Iraq. I am so very proud of you! I am proud of the man you became even though it is hard to not think of the boy you were at the same time. Today, we miss your smile and I miss you saying, "Hello, Mother" in that deep and serious voice. I know you are watching over us all; family and friends.

Today, I sent off balloons with your picture. I hope they reach you in heaven. I know you would be trying to suck the helium out to make that weird, high pitched voice and then you would laugh.

To Lance's buddies,
He has your back! Thank you for having his back! So many of you call and write and tell us stories. What wonderful gifts you give us! I wish you could understand how precious each memory you have given us is! There are just no words to express how much we appreciate those stories and memories. I hope you will ALWAYS feel like you can share ANY thought or memory with us. I know sometimes you fear you will hurt us or bring up a bad memory...
Please, don't feel that way. You will understand when you have children how important it is to know everything they do...it is who they are!

To all who read this message:
Thank you for your warm, caring words of support. Your words mean the world to us! I can't describe the feeling you get when someone you have never met sends you a message! There are no words to describe how this makes you feel and how this helps you go on.

A last thought:
Lance wanted to do his job, do it well, and make Iraq a place where people would be safe and be able to enjoy the freedom's we enjoy here in the United States. He also wanted to make sure that what he saw in Iraq never came here. The only thing he did that most of his brother Marines, soldiers, and sailors didn't do was die. Every person who is, or has, served in our nation's military are true heroes and all deserve medals and in the least our honor and respect. It is our veterans and military who have given us the freedoms we have today and who ensure that EVERYONE, no matter where they live, have the chance for the same freedoms we have here in America.

Lance, my dear son, you served well. Your family loves you and honors you today and always. Be safe, stay strong. Always Semper Fi and Gung Ho


With all my love,
Mom

 

Melanie Smith (Westfield, IN)



Photo of a memorial rock at Lance's grave



Lance_stone



Link to Lance's Legacy Guestbook and Melanie's post and contact info 



Link to Veteran's Day Post and Lance's picture.





1 comment:

Debra Estep said...

Dearest Melanie,
I know you read my blog, and I want you to know
that I've shared your message here in hopes
of letting the world know you like I KNOW YOU.
In hopes of letting the world know your son's heart.
Also... WHAT an important message you share in asking those who knew Lance to KEEP on keeping in touch
with you... AND also asking those who don't know you to also comment on his site.
POWERFUL indeed !!!!!!
But, I would expect NO LESS from a MARINE MOM !!!!
LOVE you,
Deb