Thursday, February 24, 2005

Namaste`

Naaa - maaa- stay


If you are old enough, you will recall a TV show from the early 70's called
Kung Fu.    David Carradine played the 'Kung Fu' guy. 

Usually one or more times we would see him clasp his hands together,
as if in prayer, and draw them to his chest and bow.   It was a greeting of
hello or goodbye.   I don't quite recall ever hearing him say the word, namaste`,
but think of the Kung Fu guy to envision the greeting.

Namaste` is a Hindu expression, it's Sanksrit meaning is, I bow to thee.

I once read an wonderful example of the simplicity of the greeting, it went like this.
Imagine a speaker with a full  audience.   That speaker could walk around
to every single person and shake their hand to tell them hello.    Another speaker
with a full audience could bow and do the namaste` greeting and the entire audience would respond in kind, the meaning would be the same.

Just yesterday I came across this explanation by Ram Dass.


"I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one."

There is one dear net friend of mine who knows this word well.   It's how I often
end the email messages that I send to him. 

Namaste`






1 comment:

Dave said...

"I am thinking this truly is indeed a wonderful place, Grwasshoppa."