Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Out With The Yuck - Yucks

My youngest child, Kevin is now 8 years old and in second grade.   In 2002 he
started kindergarten.   He is a lively outgoing sort who was fearless of starting  school. 
He immediately loved the teacher and interacting with other kids.
During the fall of that year every night as I was tucking him into bed he would
recount to me his entire day at school.    Most times everything was good, but
if some part of his day had not gone good, he would flare up just telling me
all about it.    After a few weeks of this I got to thinking that it just was not good for him to be taking this all with him into the night.

I continued to let him tell me of his day, and after he was done I said to him,
'Take a deep breath and everything that just did not go your way, let it go.
Picture all of your fingers like a hose.    Think of a hose turned on full blast
with the water running out as it's laying in the driveway.   Take another deep
breath and let ALL of the YUCK - YUCKS just run out your fingers.
Take another deep breath and tell yourself.... tomorrow is another day.

For well over 2 years this has been a night time ritual for Kevin.   All I have to say now is, 'out with the yuck - yucks', he takes a deep breath and away it all goes.


Sleep can be a time of rejuvenation but not if the yucky parts of your day
go right along with you into the night time.
I have no doubt that this magical childhood meditation will stay with my son
for many years to come.

Now IF I could only get his corporate, fortune 500, manager Daddy to
grasp this concept I'm certain my hubby would have 'Sweet Dreams'.   :) 





2 comments:

affpatti@yahoo.com said...

I was told about the yuck yuck's by a very special friend of mine.
Her name is Debs, or *Twink*, and I just love her.
Too many miles apart Patti*
Hoping to get together this summer :-)
Afterall, I want to try out that new air mattress you got for your special guests. LOL

affpatti said...

Oops, I should have previewed before posting. Too many typos. Sorry about that.... but my mind must be running faster than my fingers.
Also, I forgot to mention something, but seemed to have forgotten what it was. I'm blaming this on my age. LOL