Sunday, April 15, 2007

Springtime In The Winter

Flowers1_2





We've lived in our house coming on 7 years. 


The neighbors directly behind us are Roger and Joyce.




Roger is retired and Joyce works part time


at the local Hallmark card shop.     I've  have come


to know Joyce more through my card shop visits than


actually from backyard conversations.




Roger takes meticulous care of their yard and my


encounters with him are more of the friendly wave




from yard to yard.





They have 3 very large Maple trees and a couple of


oak trees on their property.   I admire those trees through


just about every season, but Fall.    Fall is exactly what


tons of leaves do.   It was late in Fall of last year and


the leaves lay about Roger's yard.    I commented to


my hubby that something has to be wrong with Roger.


Leaves would not go unattended IF everything were okay.


I found out through another neighbor that Roger was on


the mend from a back surgery.    He had extensive repair


to his lower disks.





A few weeks had past and we were now in the month


of December.   I stopped in the card shop and spotted


Joyce.   We talked about Roger and she said he was kind


of down being confined to the house and also that there


was so little he could do while mending.


I asked her for their last name and address and said


I would send him a note.

More time past and it was now late January.   For me,


snow up until December and through Christmas seems


nice and seasonable.    When it drags on into January it's


then that a toll can be had on one's spirits.


I thought about Roger and thought, 'What can I do for


a little uplift for him'?





I purchased a large white poster and quickly painted some


colorful spring flowers on the poster.


I then took a photo of the poster and made a card to


send to Roger.     The card said.... 'Pretty soon you will be seeing


Spring right out your back door'. 

The backsides of our homes face one another.   With


the leaves off of the trees they have a view of our back deck.


I covered the poster in clear plastic wrap and I let a couple of


days pass from when I mailed the card until I hung the poster


from the rails of our deck.





Several weeks had passed and the poster had stayed fresh


looking despite the ongoing snow fall.   


I was in the Hallmark store and Joyce said to me.....


"How lovely the flowers looked from their back window".


She told me that it took sometime before they realized I had


hung it up just for them.     Her words were, 'I said to Roger one


day, Deb must have hung that up just for us, because they


can't see the flowers from their window.'


I think the realization of it being a poster FOR THEM, stunned


them a little bit, but in a very good way.





A 99 cent poster - a little bit of time and creativity - and


the uplifted ~Spirits~ of my neighbors.....   PRICELESS.   

Img_1



3 comments:

Nathalitanis said...

Hi :) I visited here via 'Be the Change...', and I have to say: you almost got me crying because of this post. It's such a nice thing to do ~ wouldn't it be nice if all neighbors did that for one another? :)

Debra Estep said...

Hello Nathalie
And ~Welcome~ to my blog.
How wonderful of you not only to surf
over, but to post a comment.!!!
Being nice can be something so simple
as a warm smile to a stranger we pass
on the street.
There are many opportunities, we just need
to jump in and do them sometimes.
Sending mail is another wonderful way
to spread LOVE. Everyone has a dear
Auntie who would be THRILLED beyond
words to open her mail box and have a letter
or card for no particular reason.
As Damian shows us......
"Be the Change" !
Thank you again... you have MADE my
day !!!
Now......... I'm going to scoot over
to your place. ;)
XO XO
Deb

Deb said...

I just had to post a follow up to
this past post....
Roger the fella that I made the picture
for, my backyard neighbor.
I talked with him last week...
He said to me....
"you have NO IDEA how much your
cards and picture meant to me.
Prior to my back surgery the pain
was so bad that I even felt suicidal.
The pain was gone instantly after he
came out of the surgery".
He said of course the after surgery
brought a new kind of pain, but nothing
like he had been in before his surgery.
He must have said to me over 4 times
how special it was what I did for him. !!!
WOW........ that just made my day.
He told me... "you have no idea"
and I said to him....
"Well, I write to lots of 'kids'
who are in the military and they tell
me how AMAZING it is to hear from a
total stranger cheering them on."
So I do have a clue what this meant
to him. :)
Just had to share with you all,
what a great thing it can be to
show love to someone else when it's
least expected what a CHANGE you can
be for their lives.
I am going to get a print of the photo
and frame it for Roger, so he will have
a reminder of the spring flowers out
his back window.
Love
Deb