Thursday, March 3, 2005

Bookcrossing

Set your books free into the world. 

The web site, Bookcrossing was 'launched' April 17, 2001

The word, bookcrossing was added to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary in August of 2004.
bookcrossing (n.) The practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.

What you do is go to the web site, add your self as a member
(it's free and anonymous) From the site you register a book to be released
into the wild.  It will be assigned a bookcrossing ID#.   
You label the inside of the book with it's ID#.
Then you leave your books to be picked up, read and passed along.

Bookcrossings has printable labels and also labels available for order.

I just came across this bookcrossing site this morning and I will have to say
that the concept of parting with any of my books is quite alien to me.
In fact I have a very hard time even lending out a book.
If there is something I think should be read by a friend, I'll go on Amazon
and pick them up a used one of the book.  OR suggest they go there and
get it.

Yet the idea of this really interests me.   Enough so that I've registered on
the bookcrossing site. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the Bookcrossing site:
You'll release everything someday
Members: 334,696
Books Registered 1,792,427
Good Karma: Priceless


  www.bookcrossing.org





No comments: