Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Magnificently, Shiny, Clean Chain - ME


The very first brand new bike I ever had was one I purchased
with my morning paper route money.   It was a green 10 speed bike.
My brain seems to be failing me here, but I guess I was 16 or 17.
Thinking back on the bike what I impressed me most, well besides
the light green metallic color, was the chain.    Never before had
I seen such a magnificently, shiny, clean chain.
I recall the quiet clicking sound as I rode my bike and changed gears.
My chain moving effortlessly from sprocket to sprocket.

You see my previous hand me down bikes always had chains
that were gummed up with debris and goo.   Never a shine at
all to them.    Naturally this caused the bike not to perform
to it’s best ability.   Sometimes the chain would just pop
off the sprocket.   Definitely a performance issue.

I came upon the thoughts of my green bike while doing
a bit of thinking on the subject of self esteem.

While I’m certainly no PHD, I do have a vast amount
of knowledge about low self esteem.

Low self-esteem = debris and goo filled chain
High self-esteem = magnificently, shiny, clean chain

There is nothing that so greatly paralyzes a person
as low self-esteem.   
An individual with a low self-esteem can’t
comfortably brainstorm with themselves because they
can’t even trust the messages received from their own brain. !!!

My views of MY SELF have shifted tremendously in the past 11 years.
Credit for this shift goes to an online individual that I communicated
with for only a few months of my life.   Brian pointed out to me that
I needed to consider going into personal therapy.
My first knee jerk reaction to that suggestion was…….
NO -  NO  - NO  - NO 


NO WAY

-  NO  HOW …. NEVER !!!!
His response was: ‘There is much less stigma attached to
personal therapy than say just a few years ago.”
My response to that was: “I’m not concerned about any stigma,
I just don’t want to go see someone and get in my brain and
muck around and have to dig up all my past life’s bull shit.”




But you know what, I took Brian’s advice.    I hooked up with
Dr Linda.     Life changing to say the least.
Dr Linda assisted me in removing the debris and goo from my chain.
She helped me to actually see what a magnificent, shiny,
clean chain I really am.



Now mind you this did not happen overnight.   I was in therapy
with Dr Linda a little over a year and all these years later, I have
to consciously keep watch over my chain.    The debris and goo
lurk ever so quietly in the background, just waiting to jump back on.


I’ve come to understand that when you have the inner
knowing of your own value, that is self worth.



I empower myself every single day when I see
the beauty of myself and I let that shine out into the world.



























2 comments:

Rosa Say said...

Ho'omaika'i 'ana Deb, good for you!
At a conference I once heard a wonderful speaker talk about looking for the beauty that exists inside other people. I particular, he was talking about the elderly whose looks deceive those of us who tend to dismiss them as having outlived their usefulness. Since hearing him, "looking for the beauty inside" has always been a theme with me.
I think it's wonderful that you have had the strength and courage to look within yourself: that is something that is far more difficult for us. Reading your blog, I can see there is incredible beauty here - and quite a shiny chain!
My aloha to you,
Rosa

Deb said...

There are but a very few cultures that actually honor the elderly.
It makes me wonder how many elderly actually see their own inside beauty. Conditioned as we are to SEE only youth as beauty, we miss out on the shiny inside parts of folks who have lived and learned.
Just like a granite stone that has been worn dull by tumbling in a creek bed. All you have to do is split that stone open to see the glimmering facets of beauty – inside.
Thank you Rosa for seeing inside me. !