Monday, March 7, 2005

Bowling Fun

Many, many moons ago I was in a bowling league.I was a real novice to the sport, unlike my brothers whohad been bowling in leagues since they were kids.



Our team consisted of my sister in law Rosemary,
3 other gals and myself.    We were not ‘bowling for blood’,but I took the sport seriously and tried to improve myself week by week.

As all bowlers know, splits are real tough to ‘pick up’.What ALWAYS got to me was the 5 pin.No matter what I did, I could never ever pick up that spare.That is until one night Rosemarygave me some great advice.    Not only did thatadvice help me pick up that 5 pin spare nearlyevery time, it changed my life.
I bowled my first ball and there it stood, thatdamn 5 pin.   Rosemary came up to me andvery seriously said, “Make it your best friend”.I walked up to the starting point, took a deep breath,and looked down at that one pin.   I embraced it.I let the ball roll and down it went.
So many times since that night when facedwith a difficulty, I embraced it and ‘made it my best friend’.
A funny footnote to this story.    One of the years thatwe bowled we had a backer who supplied the teamwith bowling shirts.    Their logo on one sideand our names on the shirt.Rosemary did not give us a choice upon havingour names sewn on the front.Rosemary choose a name for me that was light years away from a name that REALLY named me…She choose…   ‘THE BITCH’. !!!I could hardly believe my eyes, my teammates wereon the floor roaring in amusement at the name.The initial intimidation factor to other teams we hadnever bowled before was priceless.   It did not takethem very long to figure out that the name on myshirt hardly named me the person.

 

I love you Rosie….  You ‘BITCH’….   wink wink.


No comments: